DIY Halloween Costume Ideas for your Dog
The spookiest, and some would say most fun, holiday of the year is right around the corner. Want to dress up your little furry monster as, well, a little furry monster? You don’t have to spend a ton of money at the pet store or costume shop or labor for hours crafting your fingers to the bone. With just a few materials and some imagination, you can make a howling good costume for your four-legged friend.
The sky’s the limit when it comes to costume ideas for your fur baby. But, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Use only soft, nontoxic, lightweight materials for the costume
- Don’t obstruct the dog’s eyes, nose or mouth
- Your dog’s movement should not be hindered by the costume
- If you will be walking around with your dog at night, adding a reflective element is a good idea
We've scared up ideas to help you craft some of the easiest and most creative homemade Halloween costumes for your dog. Quick, simple and inexpensive are the keys to these do it yourself dog costumes.
Here's how to DIY your dog into the star of your Halloween party using basic supplies and simple tools:
Add Embellishments to Your Dog’s Jacket or Harness
Turn your dog into a butterfly, ladybug, leopard or practically anything else by simply adorning your dog’s jacket or harness with some basic craft supplies. Here are some ideas:
- Premade children’s dress up wings from a dollar store, toy store or costume store can be attached easily to the back of your dog’s coat to dress him or her up as a fairy, bat or bird.
- Colored foam from a craft store can be cut into any shape you desire. Use several colors to make a flower to attach to the dog’s harness or cut out giraffe print spots to add to your dog’s yellow jacket.
Dress Your Dog Like You
Are you a business person who wears a suit, medical professional in scrubs or first responder in a uniform? Make your dog a “mini-me” outfit for Halloween.
- To make a dog “suit”, cut the collar and cuffs off an old dress shirt. The button up collar can be placed around your dog’s neck with a neck tie. Finish off the costume with cuffs on your dog’s front legs.
- A child size scrub top easily turns your beagle into Dr. Beagle or Beagle, RN for the night. Add a play stethoscope and your name tag to complete the look.
- Mechanics, police officers, fire fighters or uniforms from any other profession can be easily adapted into Halloween costumes for your dog. Simply buy a collared short-sleeve shirt in the appropriate color and size then add embellishments like your nametag, a play badge, etc. to it to customize.
T-Shirts and Tutus are a Dog Costume’s Best Friend
Let your creativity run wild by creating your own custom costume using simple human clothing items like t-shirts and tutus. Widely available in every color of the rainbow, plus some, these staples can turn your dog into anything from a sports team mascot to a mythical creature.
- Aside from the typical costumes like ballerinas, princesses, etc. you think of as including tutus, you can turn tutus into part of a more creative costume. Think about adding tutu around the neck or waist as part of a lizard, flower, clown or court jester costume.
- T-shirts can be cut, embellished and modified to be almost anything. Once you figure out what human size is most appropriate for your dog, let your creative skills flourish. A stripped t-shirt can make a great Freddy Krueger or referee outfit. Adding your favorite team’s logo to a plain t-shirt can turn your dog into the best mascot and your team’s number one fan.
With some basic supplies and a bit of creativity, you can create a howling good Halloween costume for your four-legged buddy and save a scary amount of cash.
Your friends at Lennypads remind you to have a safe and healthy Halloween for your dog. Keep dogs away from candy with its harmful processed sugars and chocolate. Add a reflective item to your dog’s collar or leash if he or she will be out at night. Provide frightened dogs with a safe refuge from trick-or-treaters and a place to potty inside, away from unfamiliar people, noises and costumes. Lennypads ultra-absorbent, reusable potty pads can be the perfect solution for times like this.